Re: [Exim] Encrypted Viruii

Autor: Alan J. Flavell
A: Exim-Users (E-mail)
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Encrypted Viruii
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Christopher Baker wrote:

> I certainly hope that everyone is running some type of virus scanning on
> the machines of the clients as well.

Each of the new strains of Bagle had been arriving at our mail server
for some hours before the corresponding template appeared on the
Sophos web site, and I'm sure it would be the same with any other AV
vendor. If we hadn't been freezing suspicious attachments for
postmaster inspection, they'd have been delivered to the users.

A well-updated virus scanner is in my opinion a useful and necessary
back-stop, but to rely on it as the primary defence against viruses
would be fatal.

Can you guarantee that all of your users have their virus templates
updated on even a daily basis? Including those who are out at
conferences or other institutes with their laptops? (adapt this
question to your particular business model ;-)

p.s along with others, we decided that we had to block password-
protected zip attachments outright. A pity, but couldn't see any
alternative.