Re: [Exim] localhost relaying w/out authentication

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] localhost relaying w/out authentication
Hi David, on Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:23:19 +0000 you wrote:

> > accept hosts = :
> That's just for 'exim -bs', not 'nc localhost 25'
> To also accept everything submitted by SMTP from localhost, you'd want
> something like:
> accept hosts = localhost :

Ah yes, good point. However, SMTP relaying (ala "nc localhost 25") from
localhost over loopback should also be enabled in the default config with
the line "hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1" (at least in the
configure.default which I'm looking at) which I guess is probably the most
obvious way to do this. Sorry for any confusion to Chris.

> Btw Tim you seem to have dropped the person who asked the question from
> the recipients, which isn't very helpful.

It was intentional. It's a mailing list. I reply to the list unless
someone specifically asks to be cc'd. Right or wrong, I'm not even going
to get into a discussion about it, since it will only re-ignite the
inevitable (and ultimately pointless) discussion about whether MLM's
should mung Reply-To headers, what MUA's/users should/should not do, ad
infinitum, yawn blah zzzzzzzzzzz. Therefore I prefer to err on the
conservative side (i.e. generate less mail, rather than more).

Tim