Re: [Exim] questions about upgrade exim3 to exim4 Debian woo…

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] questions about upgrade exim3 to exim4 Debian woody
On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 07:44:21AM -0500, Andy Firman wrote:
> I have several Debian Woody servers out there with the default
> Exim 3 and it's time to get motivated and upgrade to Exim 4.

> These servers have Spamassassin and Mailman working fine but I
> am afraid of breaking something by installing Exim 4.

> I heard there is a config script included for upgrade but will
> it take care of Spamassassin and Mailman entries in exim.conf?

yes and no ;-)
exim_convert4r4 will convert the complete file but requires
handholding (see its manpage). Otoh the Debian-specific configuration
tool (debconf) won't. - It partially parses your existing exim.conf to
guess what you answered to eximconfig eons ago and generates a
configuration roughly equivalent to this one.

> Second question is do I need exim4, exim4-daemon-heavy, or
> exim4-daemon-light?

> These are simple sites only hosting a few domains.
> But I would like to have the ability block MS executables at smtp
> time so not sure which one to choose.

You need exiscan-acl for this, i.e. -heavy.

> Is this the proper place to get the packages?:
> deb http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/exim4manpages/ woody/

Don't forget the GnuTLS backport.

> Last question. Any major problems I need to look out for when
> I do this?

Don't be flabbergasted but the 50 files in /etc/exim4/conf.d/. ;-)
               cu andreas