Re: [Exim] SMTP rewriting not shown with debugging

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SMTP rewriting not shown with debugging
On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 11:58, Chris Edwards wrote:>

> Yes - we had wondered about using rewrites to turn glasgow.ac.uk
> into gla.ac.uk - early - in order to simplify the ACLs.
>
> This would clearly need to happen before the ACLs run, so a "normal"
> rewrite is no good.

Exactly...

> We wondered about using SMTP-time rewrites, but this seems to be
> inappropriate, since they're meant for fixing syntactically invalid
> addresses.

Well it's debatable I guess. I agree that the 'S' rewrite may have been
invented to cope with syntactically invalid addresses, but I see no
reason not to use it for other purposes if it is appropriate to the
situation. And as you say the rewriting needs to occur before the ACL's
are run, so an SMTP-time rewrite seems a good idea in that situation.

Alternatively it could be argued that I'm being lazy and should just
write the ACL's to cope with both addresses! But why? Why not use an
SMTP-time rewrite to make things a bit easier? It works and seems to
have no side-effects! :-)

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839