Re: [Exim] Translation issues in email from this list

Author: Pat Lashley
To: Walt Reed
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Translation issues in email from this list
--On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 14:04:44 -0500 Walt Reed <exim@???> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:35:32AM -0800, Pat Lashley said:
>> --On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 16:25:23 +0000 David Woodhouse
>> <dwmw2@???> wrote:
>
> Maybe because HTML / Mime in mailing lists causes all sorts of problems
> with archives, digests, etc???

It's long past time that archives and digests were adapted to
cope with complex messages. Those that don't are arguably broken.

> Mime / HTML email has no place on any mailing list. Period. It's best to
> reject them outright.

That's a matter of opinion. I can think of a few mailing lists
where they are quite appropriate and can easily imagine some where
they would be distinctly advantageous. (In fact, I have a small
humor mailing list that occasionally includes pictures or even
short video clips. I'd really hate to have to send those out as
in-line uuencoded blocks like we did in the bad old days before
attachments and MIME.)

But I do agree that, apart from the advantage of preserving digital
signatures, -some- mailing lists are better restricted to pure single-
part ASCII text; and that in those cases, it is probably better to
reject non-conforming messages than to try to automatically convert
them.

-Pat