Re: [Exim] Automatic adding to blacklist if spamtrap adress …

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Automatic adding to blacklist if spamtrap adress is used.
Mark M said:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to find a way to automaticly add the
> $sender_host_address to a blacklist file (e.g.
> /etc/exim4/local_host_blacklist
>
> I'm having no luck...
>
> The way I figured was: when a spammer sends email to
> "spamtrap@???" the host adress is added to the
> blacklist. Prefferably via an exim filter in the spamtrap
> /home/spamtrap/.forward

I think you are going to find that this is not going to work like you
think. With the large number of Viruses being send around nowdays,
bouncing all over the place with Forged legit email addresses in them, you
are invariably going to have stuff sent to that box that didn't come from
the other victim.

Many of these same forged legit email addresses appear to be being picked
up by spam engines which send spam in much the same way that the viruses
do.

You would have to verify the sender is actually who is on the From line
before making such a block and that can only really be done at SMTP time.

You would be better off using some of the more agressive checks at SMTP
time to prevent the spam in the first place.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums