Re: [Exim] Exim: Interpretting exim log. What is wrong her…

Author: Edgar Lovecraft
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim: Interpretting exim log. What is wrong here?
prince wrote:

> I went thru "45.6. Logging message reception" on the exim guide. Now,
> when/why do I get unverified host as in the abobe case? Is there
> anything to do with DNS or MX record?

no it is not

> > (xx.xx.xxx.yy) == unverfied HELO string

..[snip]...
Nope, all a unverified HELO/EHLO host is, is just a host whos HELO/EHLO
hostname does not match a DNS PTR record for the connecting IP that has
a DNS A/CNAME record that points to the same name, i.e.:
    HELO hostname  = 123.123.123.123
    DNS PTR for IP = 213.135.70.108
    DNS A for PTR  = irm-4-13.dialup.access.telecore.net.ru
That is an unverified host, a verified host would be:
    HELO hostname  = irm-4-13.dialup.access.telecore.net.ru
    DNS PTR for IP = 213.135.70.108
    DNS A for PTR  = irm-4-13.dialup.access.telecore.net.ru

> > >H=irm-4-13.dialup.access.telecore.net.ru (xx.xx.xxx.yy)
> > >[213.135.70.108] F=<some-user-name@???> rejected RCPT
> > ><another-user-name@???>: relay not permitted
> > >
> > > Where xx.xx.xxx.yy is one of my ips (eth0:0)

..[snip]...
--
In the situation that you are in, there is a host that is trying to tell
you that they are you, there have been lots of examples of ways to look