Re: [Exim] Re: abusive MX records look up to "mail."

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim users list
New-Topics: Re: [Exim] Re: abusive MX records look up to "mail."
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: abusive MX records look up to "mail."
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> But irrespective of which way that decision falls, I do have this gut
> feeling that the qualify_single setting should be ignored in the
> second stage of the lookup, as I said above.

Yes, that sounds plausible. But there is a potential catch...

When a resolver is called to find MX records, it often returns the A
records in the same return packet, if it happens to have them available.
In that situation, there isn't a second stage lookup.

Now, I don't know what "have them available" actually means in practice.
If it means "look for them in this nameserver", and it still uses the
qualify_single thingy, then you are no better off.

You should be able to detect whether this is the case by running a test
with DNS debugging turned on. The resolver's debugging output will show
how many times it was called.