Re: [Exim] callout suggestion

Author: Tony Finch
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] callout suggestion
Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

>It occurs to me that, back in 1982, VRFY was invented... I wonder if
>recipient callouts should be using VRFY? Hmm...

Yes they should, except that VRFY has been broken because best practice
is to turn it off. It's probably a good idea to make the proper
implementation of VRFY an ESMTP extension, so that servers advertise it
and clients can use it instead of hack-style callouts when appropriate.

I note that Sendmail's milter hooks aren't as extensive as Exim's
ACLs, and don't allow you to control its VRFY behaviour in the way
you can for RCPT.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch <dot@???> http://dotat.at/
HEBRIDES BAILEY: WEST VEERING NORTH 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8. RAIN OR