Re: [Exim] Virus | Spam tagging

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Stephen Gran
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Exim users list
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Virus | Spam tagging
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 06:46:38PM +0000, Alan J. Flavell said:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, SH Solutions wrote:
>
> > I read a lot about clamav, which I have installed, but I also read,
> > that it could fail multiple times a day. In that case, exim would
> > fail also.
>
> I can't comment on that from practical experience, but what do you
> mean by "exim would fail"? Surely the worst that would happen is that
> the mail would be temporarily refused, and tried again later (at least
> by bona fide senders - some spammers don't bother to retry, which can
> make the occasional temporary failure quite beneficial ;-)

Yes, from experience, this is exactly what happens - exim just 45x's
messages until clamd is restarted.

> > I also read a lot about spamasassin, do I have to risk the same here?
>
> The way that we have it set up, if spamd fails - which it does
> occasionally, though not often - then the mail is accepted without
> being spam-rated. So the spam load goes up temporarily, until the
> spamd gets restarted (there's a cron task that checks it and
> resuscitates it if necessary, but it's very rarely necessary).

spamc I think is responsible for this - it tries 3 times to contact
spamd, and if it can't, it just passes the message back. At least
that's the theory - I don't believe we've ever lost mail or 45x'ed it
when spamd keeled over, at any rate.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Marriage, n.:  The evil aye.            |
|  steve@???             |                                         |