From: "prince" <prince@???>
To: <exim-users@???>
Sent: Tuesday, February 17, 2004 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Exim] rejected EHLO from localhost [127.0.0.1]: syntactically
invalid argument(s): (no argument given)

> Thanks Peter,
>
> I have asked the Application developer to take a look at it and send the
> program to me. Though he will go through the program, his argument is,

this
> was working without any issue on qmail.

Assuming the code uses the standard JavaMail API, you could point him to

Q: I get "MessagingException: 501 HELO requires domain address" when trying
to send a message.
A: The SMTP provider uses the results of
InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName() in the SMTP HELO command. If that
call fails to return any data, no name is sent in the HELO command. Check
your JDK and name server configuration to ensure that that call returns the
correct data. Starting with JavaMail 1.1.3, you may also set the
mail.smtp.localhost property to the name you want to use for the HELO
command.

... which is from http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/FAQ.html and showed
up on a Google for 'JavaMail HELO' just now. That's the fix I couldn't
remember in time for my earlier post.

Peter