RE: [Exim] Spam emails problem with mail server

Author: Rick Cooper
To: Ganbold, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Spam emails problem with mail server

You should have your web mail sending to your exim server via
smpt, then add a rcpt acl
something like:

# Deny if either the too many rcpt to: commands or recipients
deny condition = ${if or {\
        {>{$recipients_count}{15}}\
        {>{$rcpt_count}{15}}\
        }\
        {yes}{no}}
    message = Recipient count is above maximum per message please \
              reduce your message recipient count to allowed limit \
              of 15

You will want to watch for this in your reject logs and look in
to any infraction of this policy. I have had a similar policy on
our mail servers since a salesman downloaded a "verified email
list" from yahoo. He thought it wouldn't be spamming if he got it
from a place like yahoo... there were a ton of @home.com address
and @home had been gone for nearly two years already.

Of course you may want to add exceptions for specific hosts, or
possibly a hosts = xx.xx.xx.xx to enforce this rule only for
connections from your web mail server.

Just make sure the users are aware that policy states you cannot
send a message to
more than 15 people at a time. I would think this would make you
far less attractive
to spammers. Of course the best way to prevent this is not run a
free webmail service without verifying, in some manner, the user
of the account.

> I tried to block accounts but they just created new
> accounts and start sending.
> How to block IP addresses? Will it solve the problem?
> What happen if they change IP addresses since there
> are many open proxies
> around?
>
> A I said before I'm checking black lists at SMTP time.
> Since spammers are
> using web interface it is not checking.
> How to check IP addresses when they using web
> interface? Are there any such
> methods?

Again, make sure your webmail service is sending to your exim
server via smtp and not piping through sendmail