Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Steve Lamb
Päiväys:
Kopio: Exim User's Mailing List
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25
First off, don't CC me. I'm on the list you nit. I don't particularly
like spam.

Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Saturday, February 14, 2004 at 03:07:13 (-0800), Steve Lamb wrote: ]
>>Subject: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25

>>Greg A. Woods wrote:

>>>If the DHCP server is advertising MX hosts then it should be trivial to
>>>have the dhclient software set the right gateway for Exim to use.

>>     So what happens if you're on two networks, one doesn't broadcast but it
>>is static and the other does because it is dynamic?  Uhhhh, problem.

> Huh? If you're trying to multi-home your workstation and you don't know
> how to do you own software integration and manage your own routing
> policies then you get all the problems you deserve.

     No, this was about you proclaiming loudly that if a DHCP server doesn't
broadcast MX it is because the MX is static and one could simply program it
in.  I asked the obvious question of what one does when one DHCP server does
broadcast and one does not.  IE, one simply cannot just set the static MX and
let it be.

>>>If you want this kind of freedom to manage your own SMTP services than
>>>you've got to pay for the privilege. I.e. find an ISP who will accept
>>>your good money to allow you to do what you wish.

>>     This is not always the case.

> Please pay particular attention to my exact words above: "If you want
> this kind of freedom"...

     No bearing.

>> Here at my apt. complex we had Pangeatech.
>> I chose this complex because it wasn't Cox cable. Well, the complex manager
>>decided a cable company was going to be far better than one that wired local
>>ether into every apartment and dropped Pangeatech for Cox. So here's my options:

>>Cox

> How about finding some clued person who's within DSL range and who's
> also a Cox customer and building a tunnel through Cox to a router you
> and your friend would connect to a real ISP?

     How is this different than me setting up my machine on the other end
through which I deliver mail to accent on 2525 and sending mail to that port?
Both are getting around the ISPs port 25 block.  But let's say that they are
really different in the real world and not just in Greg's head.

     New to the area, don't know anyone much less someone clued.

> Or how about wireless?

     Look at the pretty mountains.  And wireless is one way.  Modem for the
uploink, no thanks.

> Perhaps you could even build a private wireless link to a nearby friend
> with more connectivity options and then share the cost of more
> appropriate bandwidth.

     New to area, see above.

>>     DSL is right out because *if* it stretched this far (which it doesn't) it
>>is Sprint and the choices through Sprint are extremely limiting.

> You could move again. If you choose not to move then you must pay the
> price for your otherwise idyllic lifestyle.

     Apartment complex.  Maybe you've heard of the multi-month leases signed?
  13 months here.  We're on month 4.

> I chose to live in a house, partly in order to have the kinds of
> freedoms I wanted, including connectivity options and a basement for a
> computer room and workshop.

     Like to see you buy a house after being out of work for a year and moving
to a new state to take on a job on a week's notice.

> However now I have a mortgage, a lawn to
> cut, a driveway to shovel, a roof to fix, etc. We create the situations
> we must live with.

     Not always.  Lots of times we make the best choice possible for the time
constraints we have.  A 13-month lease on an apartment in a new town for a job
after a year's unemployment with a great broadband option was pretty sweet
until management changed it.  I'm making the best of the situation just as the
OP is.  Might I suggest you keep to the situationa at hand (idiot provider)
and not throw in other situations which do not apply (company policies).

[ISDN]
> So? Why not? If you want the freedom.... (it _is_ an option!)

     Slight problem that the bandwidth is too low for work.

> As for choice of DSL provider, well around these parts the telco has to
> offer their last mile copper for resale to all DSL providers and most
> DSL providers in this area can offer connections anywhere in Ontario or
> Quebec where DSL is available.

     Just because they have to offer it doesn't mean that DSL providers are
going to take it.  Sprint seems notorious for being a pain to work with so
most DSL providers don't deal with them even.

> You live in a market economy and unless you and those like you use your
> buying power to influence what the market offers, and instead you just
> sittin' on your duffs like all the other drones and stay happy with the
> same service all the other drones are happy with, then you'll continue
> to be stuck with the lack of options you complain about now.

     Bull, Greg.  In my case the situation changed out from under me.  I
didn't get in a screaming match with the manager over this for nothing.  I and
the other tennants in this complex had less than a week's notice and as bad as
Cox is the alternatives (ISDN or phone) are far worse.  I'm stuck in a lease
and cannot move again until the end of the year or I would have.  When that
lease comes up I will.  Until then I do what I can.  For the record the third
teir Cox representative I did scream at was the one who suggested routing to a
different port so Cox doesn't care.

> In these parts (and in others too, so I've heard) groups of people like
> you have formed co-operatives and they provide themselves and their
> like-minded (i.e. "clued") friends with their own Internet connectivity,
> on their own terms.

     New to the area.

> I.e. whining and complaining about the unhappy state of affairs you've
> got yourself into isn't helping anyone, least of all yourself.

     Didn't get myself into it.  Less than a week's notice, 13 month lease.
The real world, in spite of your clueless outlook, is not totally under our
control.