Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25

Author: Exim User's Mailing List
To: Steve Lamb
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25
[ On Saturday, February 14, 2004 at 03:07:13 (-0800), Steve Lamb wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25
>
> Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > If the DHCP server is advertising MX hosts then it should be trivial to
> > have the dhclient software set the right gateway for Exim to use.
>
>      So what happens if you're on two networks, one doesn't broadcast but it
> is static and the other does because it is dynamic?  Uhhhh, problem.

Huh? If you're trying to multi-home your workstation and you don't know
how to do you own software integration and manage your own routing
policies then you get all the problems you deserve.

> > If you want this kind of freedom to manage your own SMTP services than
> > you've got to pay for the privilege. I.e. find an ISP who will accept
> > your good money to allow you to do what you wish.
>
>      This is not always the case.

Please pay particular attention to my exact words above: "If you want
this kind of freedom"...

> Here at my apt. complex we had Pangeatech.
> I chose this complex because it wasn't Cox cable. Well, the complex manager
> decided a cable company was going to be far better than one that wired local
> ether into every apartment and dropped Pangeatech for Cox. So here's my options:
>
> Cox

How about finding some clued person who's within DSL range and who's
also a Cox customer and building a tunnel through Cox to a router you
and your friend would connect to a real ISP? That's how I ran my
network for a few years, and I still know lots of folks who do the
same.

Or how about wireless?

Perhaps you could even build a private wireless link to a nearby friend
with more connectivity options and then share the cost of more
appropriate bandwidth.

>      DSL is right out because *if* it stretched this far (which it doesn't) it
> is Sprint and the choices through Sprint are extremely limiting.

You could move again. If you choose not to move then you must pay the
price for your otherwise idyllic lifestyle.

I chose to live in a house, partly in order to have the kinds of
freedoms I wanted, including connectivity options and a basement for a
computer room and workshop. However now I have a mortgage, a lawn to
cut, a driveway to shovel, a roof to fix, etc. We create the situations
we must live with.

> I could get
> ISDN through Sprint! Yay, that was the alternative the manager offered me to Cox.

So? Why not? If you want the freedom.... (it _is_ an option!)

>      We're not in the wild and wooly days of the early user expansion into the
> Internet where there were 15+ local providers just a phone call away.

As for choice of DSL provider, well around these parts the telco has to
offer their last mile copper for resale to all DSL providers and most
DSL providers in this area can offer connections anywhere in Ontario or
Quebec where DSL is available. (The only time that seems to fail is
when the customer has a Sprint local line, in which case Bell refuse to
punch their DSLAM down on the copper they've provided to Sprint, and
it's simply because they haven't reached an agreement with Sprint on
who'll pay who how much for the privilege.)

You live in a market economy and unless you and those like you use your
buying power to influence what the market offers, and instead you just
sittin' on your duffs like all the other drones and stay happy with the
same service all the other drones are happy with, then you'll continue
to be stuck with the lack of options you complain about now.

In these parts (and in others too, so I've heard) groups of people like
you have formed co-operatives and they provide themselves and their
like-minded (i.e. "clued") friends with their own Internet connectivity,
on their own terms.

I.e. whining and complaining about the unhappy state of affairs you've
got yourself into isn't helping anyone, least of all yourself.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>