Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: The Prejudiciously Configured Exim User's Mailing List
Para: Leonardo Boselli
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25
[ On Friday, February 13, 2004 at 23:42:03 (+0100), Leonardo Boselli wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25
>
> I am not considering different subnets for the same provider, but when
> one use different providers ad different time (for example whit my
> portable i can access to two different networks at workplace, each with
> different smarthost, and to three different networks from home, and two
> more while mobile. I set the MUA to use always main server at works, with
> authentication. Otherwise i would have to switch between 5 to 7 different
> setting !)

Why are you making your life so complicated?

Why are you trying to make a workstation behave like a server? I.e. why
are you running an MTA on your workstation?!?!?

Why don't you do what everyone else using "mobile" workstations does and
always set your MUA to use the SMTP gateway appropriate for the ISP you
connect to? If you find that to be too difficult then you don't have
properly integrated software. If you can't do that software integration
yourself then I would suggest finding an appropriate pre-integrated
software platform to use, such as Mac OS-X. My colleagues who use
laptops all use Mac OS-X now and they seem to have no problem using any
old network they plug into -- it only takes them a moment or two to
configure their settings (usually it's one pull-down menu choice from
the network icon on their menu bar) and everything "Just Works(tm)".

> > If the DHCP server is advertising MX hosts then it should be trivial
> > to have the dhclient software set the right gateway for Exim to use.
>
> Do you have the trivial patch ? It would resolve most of problems.

It is a trivial patch indeed, at least from my perspective, but I don't
have one to offer since I don't have any clue what dhclient software you
use, and it's almost certainly not the same as what I would use. :-)

> Nesessary specification: I am the postmaster for a departmental domain
> with about 600 user. It is not uncommon for me to receive request on the
> state of delivery of a certain message sent from there ...

Then what the heck are you doing fiddling with third party networks that
don't let you use SMTP!?!?!?

Keep your workstation connected to your own network when you're doing
things internally and you won't have any problems. :-)

Or are you trying to tell me you're trying to run a 600 user mail domain
on a server that's connected only by some mass-market "home PC" service?

> > If you want this kind of freedom to manage your own SMTP services than
> > you've got to pay for the privilege. I.e. find an ISP who will accept
> > your good money to allow you to do what you wish.
>
> An isp in italy did that in 2003. Within one month lost about 30% of its
> subscribers.

I hope you got that backwards. Adding a new service, especially a
"premium" service which bypasses certain limits on the base service,
should _attract_ customers, at least if there's any clue amongst any
percentage of the potential customer base, provided of course the
additional charge for this added service is within reason for the
market.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>