Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25

Góra strony
Autor: Steve Lamb
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Temat: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> That's only because your system integrator (you? :-) did a very poor job
> of integrating Exim and/or the DHCP client software into your system.

> If the DHCP server is advertising MX hosts then it should be trivial to
> have the dhclient software set the right gateway for Exim to use.

     So what happens if you're on two networks, one doesn't broadcast but it
is static and the other does because it is dynamic?  Uhhhh, problem.

>> 3. Yaou lose the control on delivery (for example here if someone send a
>>message can ask the net admin to check if it has been delivered, or if not
>>where is the problem)

> You lost control the moment you agreed to use the network which blocks
> port 25 -- bypassing their rules could very well get you in a great deal
> of trouble, especially if it's a company network with a security policy
> that mandates all e-mail go via authorised company gateways.

     But we're not talking a company w/security.  We're talking home pipes
with clueless nits at the wheel.  Looks like he's trying to bypass it to do
what is right by the company, IE, send company mail via company gateways and
not the stupid cable company's gateways.

> If you want this kind of freedom to manage your own SMTP services than
> you've got to pay for the privilege. I.e. find an ISP who will accept
> your good money to allow you to do what you wish.

     This is not always the case.  Here at my apt. complex we had Pangeatech.
  I chose this complex because it wasn't Cox cable.  Well, the complex manager
decided a cable company was going to be far better than one that wired local
ether into every apartment and dropped Pangeatech for Cox.  So here's my options:

Cox, Cox, Cox, Cox, Cox or Cox.

     DSL is right out because *if* it stretched this far (which it doesn't) it
is Sprint and the choices through Sprint are extremely limiting.  I could get
ISDN through Sprint!  Yay, that was the alternative the manager offered me to Cox.

     We're not in the wild and wooly days of the early user expansion into the
Internet where there were 15+ local providers just a phone call away.