Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: The Prejudiciously Configured Exim User's Mailing List
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Leonardo Boselli
Υ/ο: Chris Bayliss, James P. Roberts, exim.list, Exim User's Mailing List
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25
[ On Friday, February 13, 2004 at 16:08:00 (+0100), Leonardo Boselli wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Getting around my isp when they block port 25
>
> I think there are three obstacles in doing that:
> 1. not every DHCP server publicize mx server

They shouldn't have to if the setting is static for the network you're
connecting to -- i.e. not dependent on the particular subnet your
address is assigned at any given time.

> and exim [as well every
> other MTA/MUA] does not recognize
> them, so if you are on the move you have to change it every time

That's only because your system integrator (you? :-) did a very poor job
of integrating Exim and/or the DHCP client software into your system.

If the DHCP server is advertising MX hosts then it should be trivial to
have the dhclient software set the right gateway for Exim to use.

> 2. If you use authentication (for example here you can send to internal
> distribution list only if you authenticate ...)

"if ..."? What does this have to do with anything?

> 3. Yaou lose the control on delivery (for example here if someone send a
> message can ask the net admin to check if it has been delivered, or if not
> where is the problem)

You lost control the moment you agreed to use the network which blocks
port 25 -- bypassing their rules could very well get you in a great deal
of trouble, especially if it's a company network with a security policy
that mandates all e-mail go via authorised company gateways.

If you want this kind of freedom to manage your own SMTP services than
you've got to pay for the privilege. I.e. find an ISP who will accept
your good money to allow you to do what you wish.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>