[Exim] MX routing without changing any address

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: John Horne
To: Exim usersEximUsersList
Betreff: [Exim] MX routing without changing any address
Hello,

Okay, it's Friday afternoon, and the 13th!, so this could be a dumb
question :-)

I need to try and send messages sent to one domain, and received on an
exim mailhub, back out to another domain without changing any of the
header or envelope addresses *and* using MX lookups for the new domain.
Can it be done?

I need the MX lookup bit since the new domain has several mailhubs and
the DNS will specify the preference they are to be used in. I have no
control of the DNS entries for the new domain.

As far as I can tell I can send mail out to another host without
changing any addresses by using the manualroute router, but this doesn't
do MX lookups. So I would have to manually keep changing the route list
whenever something happened on the receiving mailhubs.

Alternatively is to use a dnslookup router to the new domain, which
gives me the MX lookups, but then I have to specify the routing domain
(using 'self=reroute:xxx') and that changes the envelope address. (I
have to specify routing because a dnslookup of the initial '$domain'
simply returns the MX records for the local host; so I need to specify
where to send the message on and that causes the envelope address to
change it seems).

The closest I have got so far is to use a manualroute router with a
dnsdb lookup of the MX records in a route_list. Unfortunately though
this returns the MX records but with no regard to the MX preference
value. I can see no way of 'sorting' these without getting more
complicated and running some external program to sort them!

A route_data option to sort the MX records according to the preference
value would be nice :-) I think that would then solve this.

Hope it makes sense! Thanks,

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839