Re: [Exim] About this list

Author: Michael Johnson
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] About this list
On Feb 10, 2004, at 11:48 AM, Steve Lamb wrote:

> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> Using which client? (Rhetorical question...X-Mailer: Ximian Evolution
>> 1.4.5) Your client obviously has this option. Most I've seen/used do
>> not.
>
>     Bull.  Most do.  Only a select few do not.  LookOut! being one of
> them.
> RFC2369 has been out for years now and most clients with active
> development
> have implemented at least partial support for it.

I can easily disagree with this. Simply put, no client I've ever used
had this. I've used many different clients from pine, to KMail, to
Mozilla (and derivatives), to Em@iler, to Eudora, to Mail.app on Mac OS
X. Not a single one of those clients, while I used them, had a reply
to list.

> 2: RFC2369 which has been out since 1998 defines headers for
> mailing-lists to
> use, one of which is where to send list replies.

Which one? I've been looking at that RFC and I can't find it.

>     In short, there is a more appropriate header to be used.  If the
> list
> doesn't have it turned on complain to the list maintainer.  If the
> list has it
> turned on file a bug against the client.  Break standards to work
> around bugs
> in a few clients is not the way to go about things.

I don't see a specific header in this message for that purpose. It may
be I just don't recognize it. However, I still don't see anything
which is immediately obvious. Of course this list doesn't reply to the
list so it may not be there. In my own lists, also using mailman, I
don't see a specific list header for replying to the list. Instead, I
use the Reply-To: header.

-Michael

There will always be those who dare to take great risks. Rather than
mourn their loss, we should value their contributions.

            --Jesse Brown