Re: [Exim] About this list

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Steve Lamb
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] About this list
Michael Johnson wrote:
> Using which client? (Rhetorical question...X-Mailer: Ximian Evolution
> 1.4.5) Your client obviously has this option. Most I've seen/used do
> not.

     Bull.  Most do.  Only a select few do not.  LookOut! being one of them.
RFC2369 has been out for years now and most clients with active development
have implemented at least partial support for it.

     What chaps my hide is it isn't that hard to just delete the CCs.  I
happen to use one of the few clients that doesn't do it ans also participate
on lists where CCs are discouraged.  Had to remove 2 from this message because
of other people's laziness.  The List does the distribution, thank you, no
need to make everyone's client do the same.

> So even if we took a vote on the list, with those wishing to abstain
> registering a non-vote (since they likely don't care), it wouldn't
> matter. I see the argument for both sides, and see some merit in each
> argument. However, I don't find in my experience that forcing a
> reply-to is a bad thing. But then again, it's your list. Those of us
> who disagree can either take our football and go home, or just deal
> with it.

     There was a time when I agreed with reply-to being in a list.  This is
because RFC822 explicitely stated that reply-to could be used for mailing
lists.  However things have changed in the few years since.

1: RFC2822 which superscedes 822 for clarification removed the explicite entry
about reply-to for mailing lists.
2: RFC2369 which has been out since 1998 defines headers for mailing-lists to
use, one of which is where to send list replies.

     In short, there is a more appropriate header to be used.  If the list
doesn't have it turned on complain to the list maintainer.  If the list has it
turned on file a bug against the client.  Break standards to work around bugs
in a few clients is not the way to go about things.