Re: [Exim] How to do SMTP AUTH on a smarthost?

Author: Dan Egli
To: ISP List
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] How to do SMTP AUTH on a smarthost?
ISP List wrote:
| It is already running a LDAP server. In fact, I have a ACL that already
| checks for a valid E-mail address against the CGP database when
| accepting mail:

|   deny message = user unknown
|         domains = +relay_to_domains
|         !recipients = ${lookup ldap \
|         {user="ldap_search@???" pass=XXXXXX \

| ldap:///uid=${quote_ldap:$local_part},cn=${quote_ldap:$domain}?mail} \
|         {$value}fail}

| The question is, how to interface with the LDAP/CGP server to validate

SMTP
| AUTH requests to the exim machines. Presumably the query would need to
| authenticate with the SMTP AUTH username and password passed to exim, and
| result in a pass/fail type of response.

That's not hard at all :> I do that with a MySQL database now. Here's an
examply of my authenticators:

plain:
driver=plaintext
~ public_name=PLAIN
~ server_condition = "${if eq{$3} \
~ {${lookup mysql{SELECT passwd FROM mail \
~ WHERE uname='${local_part:$2}'}{$value}fail}}{1}{0}}"
~ server_prompts= "Login::"
~ server_set_id=$2

- --- Dan