Re: [Exim] bounce_return_message problem

Author: John Horne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] bounce_return_message problem
On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:47, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, John Horne wrote:
>
> > The problem seems to stem from the fact that the above is part of the
> > ACL system, and that does not seem to take any notice of the bounce
> > options. When a message is rejected by an ACL the default bounce message
> > format is used.
>
> No; when a message is rejected by an ACL, Exim does not generate the
> bounce message. It refuses to accept the message from the remote sender.
> It is therefore up to the sender to generate the bounce message.

Can you tell it's Monday...??! :-)

Yes, I got a message from Chris Edwards about this too. The ACL rejects
as part of the SMTP dialogue. In my case email was going via another
system, and it was that one which was generating the bounce messages (it
too runs exim). Once I had email going directly just from my machine to
the recipients then it all worked as expected.

Apologies for the confusion and thanks.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@???       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839