[Exim] TNEF emails causing problems

Author: Scott Truman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] TNEF emails causing problems
Hi there,
     I am running Exim 4.30 compiled with exiscan-acl patch revision 14 on RHEL3.0. I have also configured exim to use clamav.

Whenever a TNEF/RTF formatted email is received, the delivery fails with no errors in the exim logs. Internet mail servers will continue to try to deliver the email, depending on their retry cycle, with it failing each time. According to the logs on another exim server trying to deliver to this problematic server: "...defer (-18): Remote host admin [192.168.103.2] closed connection in response to end of data"...so obviously there is a bug somewhere.

Every attempted delivery causes a folder to be left in /var/spool/exim/scan with expanded contents of the email, as well as a *-D file in the /var/spool/exim/input directory. No related *-H file is created.

Any ideas as to how I can troubleshoot this problem? Fortunately we receive very few TNEF formatted emails and currently I am just cleaning up the mess left until each remote server reaches the end of it's retry cycle and an NDR is delivered to the original sender.

Thanks in advance.

Scott