Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?

Author: The prejudiciously configured Exim User's Mailing List
To: Fred Viles
CC: Exim User's Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?
[ On Wednesday, February 4, 2004 at 23:24:09 (-0800), Fred Viles wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs?
>
> On 5 Feb 2004 at 1:20, Greg A. Woods wrote about
>     "Re: [Exim] Require A records for ho":

> | [ On Wednesday, February 4, 2004 at 17:19:22 (-0800), Fred Viles wrote: ]
> | > Subject: Re: [Exim] Require A records for host names in HELOs? {Warning: possible flame war inducing content}
> | > the next test insists that the connecting IP have a PTR
> | > record with a name matching the HELO name
> |
> | That's not true at all.
> |
> | What I require is that IFF you have reverse DNS then it must be correct
> | and complete, else I may believe you're spoofing your hostname.
>
> That seems pretty close to what I wrote.

The devil is in the details. What you wrote has entirely different
connotations than what my code actually does, and what the intent is.

> Since I have valid reverse
> DNS, I didn't know you would have accepted the message if I had no
> PTR record.

That's irrelevant -- if you'd read the text of my reject response
carefuly you would know that it says _only_ that your reverse DNS
doesn't match your forward DNS. You implied that it had something to do
with the HELO name, when in fact that was merely a coincidence.

--
                        Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <woods@???>