Re: [Exim] Changing

Author: Kevin Reed
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Changing
Joe Peifer said:
> I have Exim installed as the MTA on a web server that hosts several
> virtual domains (Apache 1.3). Almost all of those domains are using s
> some sort of PHP-based CMS software. Most of the CMS packages provide
> some ability to send email from a web page.

[snip]
> I want the header info of email generated by a PHP script to change
> depending on the virtual domain that generates the request. Is there an
> simple way to do this? If you're kind enough to respond to this question,
> please go easy... I'm fresh to Exim.

1) You need to allow the owner of the webserver be trusted.

I've always used the trusted_users setting for this but there is another
called untrusted_set_sender. Check the Exim Spec.

2) Allowing people to send mail to another persons email without some sort
of verification is prone to being abused in ways you may not have imagined.

You need to make sure the script is secure and that you have some way of
verifying the sender that the intended recipient wants the messages or you
can be accused of spamming.

If it is easy to inject a message and any recipient, someone will find it
and pump tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of messages
through it when you are not watching.

--
Kevin W. Reed - TNET Services, Inc.
Unoffical Exim MTA Info Forums - http://exim.got-there.com/forums