Re: [Exim] Can we Estimate the World Wide Install Base

Author: Frank Heydlauf
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Can we Estimate the World Wide Install Base
On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 11:37:28AM +0000, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:

> But what sort of people speak to your mail servers? Presumably, these
> figures could simply be skewed by spammer's preferences. Then we also have
> to take into account the type of business that you are in.

of course - these numbers are not really representative.
They may be skewed - as you say - by spammers.
But do you think, there are more open relays with M$ MTA
than Unix/Linux? In my impression: no.
Please note - I scan every IP only once so if there is
a spammer sending some1000 mails to this server I would
count a single server.
IMO a quite bigger distortion is caused by the fact that
our customers (>1000 virtual domains) are mainly located
in Germany so the IPs may show mainly the installed MTA
base in Germany (I do not check the whois entries).

--
Regards/Gruss Frank