RE: [Exim] Request for config modularity (Probably Wishlist …

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Eli
Para: greg, 'EximUser List'
Assunto: RE: [Exim] Request for config modularity (Probably Wishlist Material)
>Instead of having one huge monolithic config file, with which I
>sometimes get corn-fused as to exactly where I am in the file, I have a
>"conf.d" directory with more directories such as:

It might be a neat idea for sure, but I believe this may go into a personal
preference sort of state when debating... I have my Apache configurations
as a main httpd.conf, and then a vhosts directory for each website. I do it
this way mainly because it allows scripts easy access to
modify/delete/create sites without risk of wiping out the main httpd.conf
file.

As for whether it would be useful for Exim, well it *might* be in some cases
if you have a very huge file - but then most of it is usually ACL stuff, and
maybe a bunch of defined constants. In a case like that, you can tidy up
your config file quite easily by separating some sections into their own
files, and then simply including them (with include).

Splitting every little section up into it's own file I personally would call
much more confusing than all in one place because you can't see the flow of
execution nearly as well in a whole whack load of little files, as you can
with all the text in one file on your screen.

Besides, hopefully once you have your config file the way you like it (and
everything that is dynamic or may need to change such as blocking email
addresses or servers or whatever all in their respective db files and
accessed with lookups), you shouldn't need to do much changing to it. I
certainly don't see myself constantly editing the config file for a mail
server to the point of needing everything in a bunch of little files. It
might take some time, but it's not that hard to pretty up your Exim config
file so that even a huge wad of stuff can be very readable.

Don't get me wrong - this might be a big step forward for some people...
It's just not something I would find as handy as you think.

Eli.