[Exim] Request for config modularity (Probably Wishlist Mate…

Author: Greg Folkert
To: EximUser List
Subject: [Exim] Request for config modularity (Probably Wishlist Material)
--
I am an admittedly huge zealot for the Debian way of doing things...

But, don't let that cloud you judgment here.

I am using exim v4.30 with exiscan compiled in (exim4-daemon-heavy) from
the debian repositories. Recently Andreas Metzler and Marc Haber made a
truly remarkable change to the way the Exim Config is handled in Debian.

Instead of having one huge monolithic config file, with which I
sometimes get corn-fused as to exactly where I am in the file, I have a
"conf.d" directory with more directories such as:

acl, auth, main, retry, rewrite, router, transport

Possibly could be more or less as well. But each of those Directories
have files like (this is the list of files in router):

00_exim4-config_header
100_exim4-config_domain_literal
200_exim4-config_primary
300_exim4-config_real_local
350_exim4-config_spamcheck
400_exim4-config_system_aliases
500_exim4-config_hubuser
600_exim4-config_userforward
700_exim4-config_maildrop
800_exim4-config_procmail
900_exim4-config_local_user
970_exim4-config_catchall_otherdom
970_exim4-config_catchall_somedom
mmm_mail4root

Example of 970_exim4-config_catchall_otherdom:

    otherdom_catch:
       driver = redirect
       data = dork@???
       domains = otherdom.com

Example of 350_exim4-config_spamcheck

  # SpamAssassin
  spamcheck_router:
    no_verify
    check_local_user
    # When to scan a message :
    #   -   it isn't already flagged as spam
    #   -   it isn't already scanned
    condition = "${if and { {!def:h_X-Spam-Flag:} {!eq
{$received_protocol}{spam-scanned}}} {1}{0}}"
    driver = accept
    transport = spamcheck

And so on... I have added some routers (similar to the displayed ones)
to one of my more lighty used machines... just so the idea isn't foggy.
I really like having the ability to manage things more easily.

I can add a transport with a useful name in it and run the config
update... which BTW does make the Monolithic config for exim4... just
hat it is compiled from the small config files.

I really like this idea, I have even began to use it for my Apache
configs too... makes the whole thing much more easily maintainable.

I would ask that if Andreas and/or Marc could expand on my request, I
would be very happy about that.

Clarifications needed? You know I am subscribed! :)
--
greg@???