Re: [Exim] Temporary defer on callouts

Author: Bill Moseley
To: David Woodhouse
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Temporary defer on callouts
On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 10:06:49AM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > My director uses this to check for a valid list.
> >
> > list_director:
> > driver = accept
> > require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc::$local_part}/config.db
> > retry_use_local_part
> > transport = list_transport
>
> Is that it? Don't you have to have the bits about local_part_suffix too?
> Otherwise how does it accept messages to list-admin@ ?

Those list admins are busy enough without people bothering them. ;)
I have separate routers for -owner, owner-, -admin, and -request.

> Try want something like this before the above:
>
> list_reject_bounces:
> driver = redirect
> require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc::$local_part}/config.db
> senders = :
> allow_fail
> data = :fail: Lists do not send messages and should not receive bounces

Oh that's much better. I had tried just

    sender = ! :

which resulted in Unroutable address, which is not really the failure
reason.

> Bear in mind that if you're doing recipient verification callouts on a
> backup MX you need to make that not break.
>
> I do recipient verification callouts on the MX backups to prevent them
> from accepting mail to invalid local_parts. Of course I use defer_ok,
> otherwise they'd never accept mail while the primary is down.

Right. Also I found that without the recipient callouts I ended up with
lots of frozen messages on the backup MX.

> But recipient verification callouts are done with a null sender, so
> caused my backup MX to refuse to accept mail for the lists :)

Good point.

With respect to Mailman, I prefer lists to limit posting to subscribers
and for non-member posts not to be kept for list owner approval. (I
know that's a policy issue that not all agree with.) So, it would be
nice to check for not only valid list, but valid subscriber at SMTP time
(and use the envelope sender instead of From: header). Perhaps the
"find_member" Mailman tool could be used for this.

Thanks much for your help,

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@???