Re: [Exim] Temporary defer on callouts

Author: Bill Moseley
To: David Woodhouse
CC: Alan J. Flavell, Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Temporary defer on callouts
On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:07:53PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 08:48 -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 04:32:51PM +0000, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> >
> > > However, I think you're missing the point. The envelope-sender
> > > address that will be advertised on items that are distributed by the
> > > mailing list will be the address of the list administrator, or of the
> > > automated bounce-processing daemon, *not* the list-submission address.
> >
> > My bad wording -- I said "boucing subscribers" meaning "bouncing from
> > addresses that are subscribed."
>
> If you think that alters Alan's answer in any way then I suspect you are
> misunderstanding both him, me and the way that mailing lists work.

Not the lists, just you and Alan. Sorry, I misread your initial comment
about lists refusing bounces. I thought you were talking about refusing
bounces back the the list envelope sender (e.g. exim-users-admin).
Those bounces are important for automatic list management, of course.
Then Alan thought I was referring to the list submission address, which I
wasn't.

Anyway, that's just noise at this point.

> The only messages you get to lists with an empty reverse-path are spam,
> viruses and responses to such. And messages from broken autoresponders.
> That's why it's acceptable not to accept bounces.

I agree that it makes sense to not allow bounces (null senders) to the
list submission address. Mailmain uses From: -- perhaps Return-path:
would be a better check (assuming it's a subscriber-only list) so
bounces to the list would get rejected by the list software.

So, have you implemented this in exim? Can I do a null sender check in
a director? If I do it in the ACL then I need to determine if the
recipient is indeed for a list when checking for a null sender.

My director uses this to check for a valid list.

list_director:
driver = accept
require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/${lc::$local_part}/config.db
retry_use_local_part
transport = list_transport

Thanks,

--