Re: [Exim] Temporary defer on callouts

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Temporary defer on callouts
On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Bill Moseley wrote:

> That's a tough one. It's nice for mail list software to automatically
> deal with bouncing subscribers. Yet, I'm getting a lot of "ezmlm
> warning" messages now saying that my address is bouncing -- of course it
> would be helpful if the list didn't forward .scr attachments to me
> which get bounced.

Indeed. I got forcibly unsubscribed from a W3C mailing list for
having the temerity to refuse multiple copies of Sobig/F virus that
they tried to send me.

However, I think you're missing the point. The envelope-sender
address that will be advertised on items that are distributed by the
mailing list will be the address of the list administrator, or of the
automated bounce-processing daemon, *not* the list-submission address.

There's no reason for a bounce to ever be sent to the list submission
address itself, is I think the point that's being made.

To express the same thing in another way: the list submission address
is valid for _receiving_ actual mail items (mail that's intended to be
sent to the mailing list, in other words), but there's no reason for
mail to be sent out with the list submission address as its envelope
sender, ergo there's no justifiable reason for the list submission
address to ever be sent bounces.

Is that making sense?