Re: [Exim] exim4-exiscan-spamassassin

Author: Walt Reed
To: Johann Spies, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim4-exiscan-spamassassin
On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 02:24:35PM +0200, Johann Spies said:
> --
> Given the following setup:
>
>                         MX 10      mailserver 1
>  _______________     ____________/
> | Internet      |---| spamscanner|         MX 20
>  ---------------     ------------\
>                    mailserver 2

> The current setup is without "spamscanner" thus the MX record for the
> two mailservers is 10.
>
> I have to set up spamscanner in a very short time. It's sole function
> will be to reject mail that spamassassin identified as spam and pass
> the rest on to mailserver 1 and 2. I have decided to use Debian Sarge
> because of the availability of exim4 with exiscan-acl.

You DO realize that a LOT of spamware delivers directly to higher level
MX hosts right? So if you are doing something like:

MX 10 spamscanner
MX 20 mail1
MX 20 mail2

you will still get LOTS of spam to mail1 and 2 especially if you issue
tempfails on spamscanner - it will fall back to delivering to mail1 and
2.

What you will need to do is have mail1 and 2 NOT be accessable from the
internet., and either use internal DNS or no MX records for them.