Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient

Author: Tim Jackson
To: 'exim-users'
Subject: Re: [Exim] how to check remote recipient
Hi Alberto, on 30 Jan 2004 00:00:35 +0100 you wrote:

[Exim front-ending an Exchange server, only accepting valid users]
> > verify = recipient
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This only checks if the recipient's address is routable. If you want to
> test if the mailbox exists, try verify = recipient/callout.

Except that on all the Exchange machines I've seen, they don't check
recipients at SMTP time, instead accepting all recipients and then
generating bounces as necessary (braindead). So doing callouts won't,
unfortunately, achieve anything useful. There is, however, a recipe in the
Exim cookbook to check the list of Windows recipients via LDAP. That might
be worth a look, though I've not yet had an opportunity to try it myself.

Reference:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/C043.txt

Tim