Re: [Exim] Lsearch Questions

Author: Jez Hancock
To: Leigh Dodd
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Lsearch Questions
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:49:54AM -0000, Leigh Dodd wrote:
> I have a config file that has the following line
>
> sender_reject_recipients = @@lsearch*;/usr/local/exim/blacklist.txt
>
> and the blacklist.txt has (shortened :-) )
>
> pixi.com: nlcar

<snip>

> The Exim web pages says about * after lsearch as
>
> "If `*' is added to a single-key lookup type (for example, lsearch*) and the
> initial lookup fails, the key `*' is looked up in the file to provide a
> default value"
>
> Now the questions
>
> 1). Am I right in assuming that the blacklist files should have a
>     * <somedomain>: <something>
>     entry at the end/top for the lsearch* default to work.
>     (all the entries in the file are like the about, no * on it's own)

> 2). I can't find any info on the two @@ at the start of the lsearch,
>     What do they do ?

One way you could block mail from a number of domains is to define a
domainlist called 'blacklist_domains' at the top of the exim configure
file:

domainlist blacklist_domains = /usr/local/exim/blacklist.txt

and then reject mail from those domains near the top of your RCPT ACL:

deny sender_domains = blacklist_domains

I'm not sure how you can block mail from just a selection of addresses
on a given domain which is perhaps what you were after if you're using
lsearch.

HTH
--
Jez Hancock