Re: [Exim] Stopping out-of-office auto-reply mail loops

Author: David Woodhouse
To: James P. Roberts
CC: Exim Users' Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] Stopping out-of-office auto-reply mail loops
On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 14:14 -0500, James P. Roberts wrote:
> I respectfully submit that a vacation auto-reply is different from a delayed
> or undelivered email notification. In the former case, the mail has actually
> been delivered to the end-user's mailbox (i.e. the MTA's job w.r.t. this
> message is complete). In the latter case, it has *not* been delivered. These
> are very different things.

Just as a delay notification is different from a bounce, indeed. But to
the recipient they are all extremely similar, because they all signify
that the intended recipient hasn't yet read the email in question.

They're all information which is appropriate for the sender of the
email, rather than for the address listed in From: or Reply-To: headers.

Especially in a world where Reply-To: headers sometimes get munged to
point at mailing lists, and where the $sender_address is often pointed
at list manager software etc.

--
dwmw2