Re: [Exim] Weird delivery problem

Author: James P. Roberts
To: Elliot Finley
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Weird delivery problem
----- Original Message -----
From: "Elliot Finley" <efinleywork@???>
> I checked that before I posted. I'm using Maildir, and Exim is delivering
> two copies about 25 seconds apart.

<snip>
> > Elliot Finley wrote:
> > > Exim 4.30 - FreeBSD 4.8
> > >
> > > Two users on the same box in the same domain.
> > >
> > > If I send a small text email, everything is fine.
> > > If I send an email with a small attachment, everything is fine.
> > > If I send an email with a largish attachment (3MB), two copies get
> > > delivered.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen this?
> > >
> > > Elliot

I have not seen this myself, but here is my idea:

I am wondering if you do any scanning? If so, could it be that, when scanning
a large attachment, the scanner does not respond soon enough, and you have it
configured to go ahead with a delivery anyway, if the scanner times out?
Then, the scanning completes (oh, say 25 seconds later), and the scanner's
normal procedure is to reinject the email with the scan results header added?

I am just brainstorming. I could be so terribly wrong. Just trying to
imagine a scenario that could explain the symptoms reported. Hope it's
helpful.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.