Re: [Exim] dns resolution problem

Author: Konrad Michels
To: David Kelly
CC: Exim Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] dns resolution problem
I may be missing something here, but this looks suspiciously like
there's nothing inherently wrong . ..
The log entries seem to be saying that person@??? is sending
mail through the Localhost, whose IP just happens to be 213.37.97.51.
The first "error" line is actually not an error IMHO, but just a
warning, which is saying that there's no rDNS for 213.37.97.51

Later
Konrad

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 12:53, David Kelly wrote:
> Can anyone tell me any possible causes of exim resolving dns incorrectly?
> is the resoution of dns an internal or an external process to exim?
>
> the following snippet from the log shows the incorrect dns
>
> it puts 213.37.97.51
> it should be 216.180.242.194
>
> any leads on how to diagnose why this is happening would be most
> gratefully received.
>
> regards
> David
>
> ./var/log/exim_mainlog:2004-01-18 07:04:24 no host name found for IP
> address 213.37.97.51
>
> ../var/log/exim_mainlog:2004-01-18 07:04:44 1AiBfV-0007XU-HJ <=
> person@??? H=(LocalHost) [213.37.97.51] P=smtp S=2193
> id=000a01c3ddbc$1bc39ae0$336125d5@LocalHost
>
> ../var/log/exim_mainlog:2004-01-18 10:17:31 no host name found for IP
> address 213.37.97.51
>
> ../var/log/exim_mainlog:2004-01-18 10:17:45 1AiEg8-0004Cf-Vl <=
> person@??? H=(LocalHost) [213.37.97.51] P=smtp S=9979
> id=000e01c3ddd7$0f4393e0$336125d5@LocalHost
>

> --

* Konrad Michels
* IT Manager
* Surfkitchen Limited
* +441189298079

The information contained in this message is confidential. It is
addressed and other authorised to receive it. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
use, copying, dissemination or disclosure of this information is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it immediately and contact the sender by e-mail or telephone.
Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. SurfKitchen accepts no
responsibility either for breaches of confidence that may arise through
the use of this medium or for changes to any e-mail which occur after
the e-mail has been sent.