Re: [Exim] Bug? pipe transport without associated user=... r…

Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
CC: 228062
Subject: Re: [Exim] Bug? pipe transport without associated user=... runs as EXIM_USER
On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:44:23PM -0500, John Dalbec wrote:
> Andreas Metzler wrote:
> >On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 03:17:55PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> >>On (2004/01/16 13:54), Andreas Metzler wrote:

[system_aliases router and address_pipe transport, neither of which
has user, group or check_local_user set]

>>> No, you're reading about documentation that relates to .forward files,
>>> but showing us a router that relates to /etc/aliases. Read the
>>> documentation for the redirect driver. :-)

>> Maybe I am blind, but this is a direct quote from the documentation
>> for the redirect router (There is no "redirect driver".) Please show
>> quote/link.

> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/doc/html/spec_24.html#CHAP24

> 24. Generic options for transports

> group
> Type: string, expanded
> --> Default: Exim group <--

[...]

> user
> Type: string, expanded
> --> Default: Exim user <--

[...]

Thanks, there it is.

However I still think this one is misleading:
>>|       An item is treated as a pipe command if it begins with |
>>| and does not parse as a valid RFC 2822 address that includes a
>>| domain. A transport for running the command must be specified by
>>| the pipe_transport option. Either the router or the transport must
>>| specify a user and group under which to run the delivery.

[...]

If every transport has a default value for user/group, "must specify a
user..." is not correct, "may specify a user and/or group different
from the Exim user/group..." reflects the status quo better.

Whatever. I'll disable the pipe_transport= setting for the
aliasfile-router in Debian's default setup, adding a comment that
user/group should be set if the pipe_transport is activated.
                cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"