Re: [Exim] malformed smtp connection string

Author: Juha Saarinen
To: Robert Van Horn
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] malformed smtp connection string
Robert Van Horn wrote:

> Just started up a new server and compiled the latest version of exim.
> The problem is it will not accept mail from outside. Tested from the
> old server running exim 3.5 (debian) it puts up an smtp message
> on the first line saying "Exim is an mta....etc" and the old machine
> just says goodby. When I first started it up it would accept mail
> so this is something I have managed to do :-(
> linux 2.4 (debian)  exim4.30
> TIA for any suggestion.
> bob               vhs@???

Bob, you're not really giving much sensible information there :-).

When you say "outside" do you mean that the machine will accept SMTP
connections from the localhost and/or the LAN, but not the Internet?

The "Exim isn a Mail Transfer Agent" message isn't an "SMTP message" but
what you see if you type e.g. 'exim' in a command shell.

How did you configure Exim 4.30 on the new machine?

--
Juha