Re: [Exim] Upgrading from 3.35 to 4.30 q: SMTP Auth

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Upgrading from 3.35 to 4.30 q: SMTP Auth
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:04:25 +0000 (GMT) Dennis Davis <D.H.Davis@???> wrote:

> >From: Tim Jackson <lists@???>
> >To: exim-users@???
> >Subject: Re: [Exim] Upgrading from 3.35 to 4.30 q: SMTP Auth
> >Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:22:55 +0000
> > ... I'm not sure of the best starting place for SSL in general,
> >but I'm sure a web search will turn up plenty of resources to look
> >at.

> I think that one of the best books on this topic is:

> "SSL and TLS: Designing and Building Secure Systems", Eric Rescorla,
> Addison Wesley, November 2000, ISBN: 0201615983.

i second that recommendation. it's a really good introduction to the
subject, and also has fair coverage of alternatives to SSL/TLS for
various types of communications security (IPSec, S/MIME, etc.)

it also provides a good intro to the common elements of the various
approaches (Public key (RSA/DSA) vs. symmetric encryption
(DES/3DES/AES) and when to use them, chaining modes, initialization
vectors, etc.)

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???