Re: [Exim] Accessing environment variables in exim as variab…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Eli
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Accessing environment variables in exim as variables?
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Eli wrote:

> The only problem is... I see no way of accessing environment
> variables in Exim?

That is because Exim is called in unpredictable environments, and also
because it is called from user (i.e. potentially hostile) environments.
Relying on environment variables seems rather dangerous to me.

> However, it still would be nice to be able to do something like
> $env_<environment variable> to access env vars in places.

I think this would be utterly confusing. People would think they could
do this in routers and filters. But if a message is delayed, the
environment is different when the next delivery happens from a queue
runner. Or do you think the environment should be preserved with each
message?