Re: [Exim] SPAM problems : reject by X-Mailer?

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Rory Campbell-Lange
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] SPAM problems : reject by X-Mailer?
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> I am using exim4 and exiscan.
>
> I have seen a large increase in emails with subjects like "annoy idea
> handsome" and bodies such as "peace euphorbia lillian scout b centerline
> cleat scapular citron pacify centigrade icicle eh imperate cupid
> fireplace gentlemen cocaine". Presumably the sender is trying to
> generate a response?
>
> Many of these spam senders have the following X-Mailer listed:

> Is this possible to generate an SMTP-time rejection of a message based
> on its X-Mailer? Is this sensible?

Looking through my archived mail folders, I have 16 messages from
    bugtraq@???
with that signature. On a brief inspection these aren't spam.
The other 95 messages I have with that signature have been marked
as spam, either by spam-assassin or by me.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna