Re: [Exim] How to test blocklist for spammers

Author: Tim Jackson
To: EXIM Official Maillist
Subject: Re: [Exim] How to test blocklist for spammers
Hi Jens, on Mon, 12 Jan 2004 08:50:07 +0100 you wrote:

> I want to activate the blocklist for spammers. So I have added the
> following lines in my exim.conf in the "begin acl" section:
> warn message            = X-blacklisted-at: $dnslist_domain
>        dnslists           = list.dsbl.org : \
>                             sbl.spamhaus.org : \
>                             cbl.abuseat.org : \
>                             opm.blitzed.org
> deny dnslists           = list.dsbl.org : \
>                             sbl.spamhaus.org : \
>                             cbl.abuseat.org : \
>                             opm.blitzed.org

(presumably you know that having both these sets of instructions is
probably not what you want, at least when you are using it "for real"?)

Firstly, I would add a "message = $dnslist_text" to the "deny" section, so
that the remote user gets a sensible rejection message.

> But how can I test this function ? I have tried to send me
> a testmail with a senderaddress like "susan@???" as listed
> in spamhaus.org, but the headers of the recieved mail does not contain
> the X-blacklisted-at: ... ! Also the mainlog does not log anything.

Before you use DNS lists, I think you should understand how they work. The
DNSBLs you quoted all provide lists of *IP addresses*, not e-mail
addresses. (Any e-mail addresses shown in Spamhaus are merely evidence to
support the listing of a particular IP address or block of IP addresses).
The way to test it is to use "exim -bh x.y.z.a" from the command line,
where "x.y.z.a" is the IP address of a host listed in one of the lists.

Tim