Re: [Exim] Disabling Mail delivery failed errors

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Disabling Mail delivery failed errors
Hi Scott, on Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:44:51 +1300 you wrote:

> I use Exim on my webserver with a
> bulletin board running, and users with Hotmail addresses that are over
> quota being sent mail about replies to their postings get bounced back
> to me, to the point where I'm receiving 30 of them an hour.

Best thing would be (if possible), set the (envelope) sender address of
the automated mails from the BB to be something special (e.g.
"bb-bounces@???") and then do something different with that e-mail
address (e.g. devnull it, which you can do in an aliases file (or
equivalent) by aliasing the user to /dev/null, e.g. if this was the
aliases file (or equivalent) for your.domain:

bb-bounces: /dev/null

I can sympathise with you as I am in a similar position; however, I don't
want to devnull everything unconditionally as I like to be able to
manually intervene in circumstances that justify it (e.g. deleting dumb
users that sign up with invalid addresses). So what I do is to temporarily
set the e-mail address of any user that has a bounced mail to
"devnull@???", which is aliased to /dev/null. Then the bounces go in
the bin. One day I might write a script to do it automatically.

Tim