Re: [Exim] smtp-auth very slow sometimes

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] smtp-auth very slow sometimes
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Marten Lehmann wrote:

> rfc1413_hosts = *
> rfc1413_query_timeout = 30s

*If* you have absolutely no other use for that, you can turn it off.

But it does have some uses, see e.g this thread
http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20021209/047134.html
as well as Philip's remarks about the benefits when you need to report
abuse from a large multi-access system. (Isn't this also mentioned in
the FAQ, or the doc chapter about configuration, or something?).

We run with the timeout set to 7s , this keeps the function working
well enough for those hosts that respond, without undue delay from
those that fail to respond (of course, those that reject the identd
request promptly are doing a better service than those which simply
fail to respond at all! - but we have to live with both kinds).