Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received

Author: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received
Sorry for contributing to the topic drift. I only posted this to the
list to acknowledge my error in a previous public post.

On 6 Jan 2004 at 21:53, Greg A. Woods wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] Problems caused by local":

| [ On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 16:29:40 (-0800), Fred Viles wrote: ]
| > Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received

| > These SOA and NS records are broken. The SOA MNAME and the NS RNAME
| > should be the FQDN of the nameserver, not "localhost.".

| No, they're most certainly _NOT_.

Hmmm (thinks longer...) (wipes egg from face...) Not only was I
wrong about using "localhost." being broken, it is the obvious and
conventional way to write these zone files. My own zones are written
that way.

| If you're not running a nameserver then you're only using a stub
| resolver then the stub resolver is not going to try to ask 127.0.0.1 for
| anything since it's a stub resolver and it's been configured via
| /etc/resolv.conf to query some other nameserver, no matter what any NS
| record it retrieves says.

Agreed, I was confusing stub and iterative caching resolvers.

| If you are running a nameserver then it is (supposed to also be) running
| on the host identified by the hostname "localhost.". Obviously.

Right.