[Exim] exim dies silently

Author: Thomas O'Dowd
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim dies silently
Dear all,

I've been experiencing problems with EXIM dying silently on a Redhat 8
machine. I'm running 4.30 which I updated to recently. Previously I was
running 3.36 which was also crashing (main reason I decided updated).

Exim 3.x had been running on a different machine running RH6.2 for me
for a long time with the same configuration. Recently we moved hardware
and OS version. Only after the move, did we start experiencing the
problem.

This seems to suggest either a hardware or a problem with some library
on the new OS or some setting. The only problem is that I have other
long term running processes on this machine, including a relational
database and a few java based engines that don't crash. Exim is the only
process that experiences these problems. The new machine itself was also
in production previously and is running below capacity in terms of
memory and disk space. Its a twin cpu machine with 2GB of ram.

Doing a "ulimit -a" just before exim is started by the start script,
shows the following.

core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 8192
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) unlimited
Starting exim: [  OK  ]

So cpu time shouldn't be a problem. I've checked lsof and its not
running out of file descriptors. It just disappears from the process
list. Also, even though I allow it to dump core, it doesn't???

There are no unusual entries in the mainlog/paniclog or rejectlog files.
There are a few frozen mails in the mailq but nothing extra ordinary.

I'm running out ideas trying to debug this problem. Has anyone
experienced anything like this before?

Best regards,

Tom.