Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received
Now well OT...

At 12:45 pm -0500 2004/01/06, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>[ On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 at 13:41:13 (+0100), Giuliano Gavazzi wrote: ]
>> Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received
>>
>> in particular
>> because every nameserver will give a different result for the
> > 127.0.0.1 PTR.

[...]
>Every nameveserver should of course be loaded with a "localhost" zone
>that has _only_ a single A record and of course at least one NS record
>and an SOA record.

I agree (and I do so, although I do not know if it is in any RFC).

>If, and only if, you really want a "localhost.your.domain" name as well
>then you really should make that a CNAME in your local zone.

not really (see below).

>I.e. at minimum the following:
>
>    $ORIGIN localhost.
>    $TTL 24w
>    .        IN SOA    localhost. hostmaster.localhost. (
>                    1 8h 2h 24w 16h )
>    .        IN NS    localhost.
>    .        IN A    127.0.0.1

>    $ORIGIN 127.in-addr.arpa.
>    $TTL 24w
>    1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.        IN PTR    localhost.

are you sure it is ok to put data belonging to different zones in the
same file? Where would I put the SOA for 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa and how
would I tell the server that it is primary for both zones? I guess
your example is only written in pseudo-configuration mode, so to
speak. Also, can a zone be self referential? Or is there glue code in
the root servers for the nameserver localhost.? Or should localhost.
in the SOA and NS records substituted with the nameserver's FQDN? (I
do this way).

>The only other valid records for those zones would be those supporting
>RFC 1101 network naming.
>
>Then if you really want a "localhost" hostname in your domain you may
>also add the following to your local zone:
>
>    $ORIGIN your.domain.
>    localhost.your.domain.    IN CNAME localhost.

RFC1537:

    Note that all domains that contain hosts should have a "localhost" A
    record in them.

>Note all of the the trailing dots. Their presence id critically important

of course.

>You can find a complete set of documented template configs and default
>master files for localhost and other highly recommended default zones
>for BIND here:
>
>    ftp://ftp.weird.com/pub/local/named-sample-conf.src.shar

no thanks, I find the RFC and BIND documentation clear enough.

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/