Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received

Author: Giuliano Gavazzi
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems caused by localhost entry in Received
At 11:52 am +0100 2004/01/06, Toralf Lund wrote:
>Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>
>>On 2004-01-06 10:58:47 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
>>
>>>We usually configure our MUAs to send e-mail via SMTP to localhost,
>>>where Exim is running. This results in a header of the form:

>>>    by myhost.mydomain with esmtp (Exim 3.33 #1)
>>>    id 1AdWvu-0005ks-00
>>>    for user@domain; Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:46:22 +0100

>>>Now, this seems to cause problems with some blacklists etc. on the net;
>>>apparently they think "localhost" is evil.
>>>

>>Some blacklist admins are really stupid... or are you sure that
>>the reject doesn't come from something else? For instance, I can
>>see "helo=mydomain", but mydomain isn't a FQDN (as required by
>>SMTP). I know that some servers reject mail because of this. :(
>>
>It's not actually "mydomain", it's our real, fully qualified domain name
>(but just the domain, no host part); I edited the headers a bit to
>conceal some of the real info due to a sudden attack of paranoia while
>writing the message.

he he, what paranoia? I can see your fully qualified domain in your
post's headers! As you will note if you have a look at those, there
is nothing wrong with your headers, indeed also the exim mailing list
inserts a header like that. As Suresh said, it is a really stupid
thing to scan headers that way (or any other way), in particular
because every nameserver will give a different result for the
127.0.0.1 PTR. You might try the only universal one, that is
"localhost." (with a dot at the end), or the other one that must
exist in every domain, that is "localhost.yourdomainhere" (no dot at
the end here), but still the PTR will not match (but the A will).
And you can also mail postmaster at the rejecting host and kindly
point out their misconfiguration.

Giuliano
--
H U M P H
    || |||

Java & C++ Server/Client/Human Interface applications on MacOS - MacOS X
http://www.humph.com/