[Exim] manualroute and virtual domains

Author: gordonb
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] manualroute and virtual domains
I have some gateway servers and a bunch of servers that hold
mailboxes. I would like to route mail by looking up each mailbox
(not just domain, mailbox) in a database and route it to the
appropriate machine. You can't do MX records for mailboxes, and
besides, the MX records for the domains involved are pointed at
the gateway machines. Also, any domain having more than one mailbox
will probably be located on more than one machine. The obvious
solution is a database lookup and manualroute.

BUT: how do I get manualroute to leave the address alone? If I
manually route postmaster@??? to
mailfarm7.hostingcompany.com, it arrives on that machine addressed
to postmaster@???. I want it to route to
mailfarm7.hostingcompany.com with the address
postmaster@???. This is a big problem since any
one of the mailfarm*.hostingcompany.com machines will typically
have dozens of postmaster addresses in dozens of domains, and it
needs to go to the right one. There are similar problems with
other popular addresses like "sales" or "ceo". And I don't want
to rule out having ALL the "jsmith" mailboxes on the same machine.

Incidentally, I expect the mailfarm* machines to use the same code
to determine what is local to their own machine. I don't think
there will be changes often enough that there will be an issue of
database sync problems, and mailbox creation doesn't have to
happen instantly..

                    Gordon L. Burditt